Happy New Year's Week!*
A few highlights from our week...
1. We put away all of the Christmas decorations and "winterized." The Christmas tree has a new home on the deck as a bird cafe. (We've been covering TP rolls with peanutbutter and birdseed and slipping them onto the branches.)
2. These people have been practicing with their new ski gear--poles for the smaller crowd and a hydration pack for J.
3. It's been extremely cold out. That calls for Bilbo Baggins' Seed Cake (J is reading The Hobbit to them for the second time and T is into all things Hobbit) and homemade sticky buns.
4. Even though school was supposed to start again on Thursday, we've had two snow days. (Whoo-hoo!). The fresh coating of 6" of very fluffy white snow was perfect for making snow ice cream after breakfast today.
We also wanted to make maple snow candy, but unfortunately our maple syrup was full of brown powdered fungus (eww). So, we tried our hand at honey snow candy. It had a soft honey flavor, but was very sticky. And, this is how they all felt about the smell...
5. Despite the single-digit temps, we all (even J has worked from home for the past two days) bundled up and ventured out.
(M really wants the birds to land on her. My toes haven't been that cold since I've been a kid! Snow ice cream, honey candy and hot chocolate--it's been a very sweet day!)
Stay warm! :)
*Our New Year's Eve was very low key. We celebrated with tacos, banana splits, and re-watching Despicable Me. And just before they went to bed I remembered to snap a quick photo of them on the last day of 2013.