Thursday, October 10, 2013

Day 10: When It Isn't So Pretty

Because sometimes it just isn't.
Today there was this--a performance with some music and some sword fighting with a side of bickering.  At the same time there was homework and schoolwork to be done.  Oh, and epic proportions of toys dumped out on every level of the house (two levels too many).

The bedrooms were trashed.  The main floor was scattered with megablocks and superheroes and markers.  The dining room table and floor were sprinkled with a large dose of rainbow loom bands.  And school papers and shoes.  And the basement was littered with trampled Geotrax mixed with randomly dumped out toy bins and topped with all 90 large cardboard bricks.

The tipping point--when they grumbled about cleaning it up.  It was not pretty.  I may or may not have threatened to banish those Geotrax from our house forever (plus whatever else they didn't want to clean up).  

Then?  I put myself in timeout.  And they laughed.  I apologized and we hugged.  It broke the spell and we worked (mostly) together to get it all done.

Man, this day-to-day stuff is tough.  It's where the rubber meets the road.  Where I have the choice to actually DO all of the amazing stuff I hear and read about.  I like easy, but the right thing is usually the harder thing.  And I mess up.  

I totally make mistakes and need grace (and forgiveness).  I want to do better.  To not just grow another year older--but to also grow wiser (and kinder).

  All of us here, we're working on stuff.  We're in process.  Together. 

The challenge is to remember that the bumps are a part of the beautiful story, too.

Part of the 31 Day Challenge.
(For more posts in this series click HERE.)

No comments:

Post a Comment