Thursday, December 20, 2012

Stalk the Garbage Man Day


Yesterday we cancelled school for our annual "Stalk the Garbage Man, Recycling Men and Mail Person Day."  The small folks and I wrote out a few Christmas cards, gathered some candy canes and added a very little gift to say thanks to our people.

At the slightest sound of a truck, everyone ran to the window to see if one of them was here and then when it was time they dashed outside to wait for our house's turn.   They scampered down to the person (or people), stuffed the card in his hand, shouted "Merry Christmas!" and scurried with the hugest smiles back inside.  SO much fun!  The highlight of the morning was when our garbage man, Ted, jumped down and gave them a card, too.  It's on our card tree.

Then, after baking cookies for later in the day, we decorated "gingerbread" houses with friends.
I wanted to try a "healthier" icing option this year, so I made peanut butter icing--it definitely lacks the snowy effect of our ususal white icing from a canister. ;)  (And those Canada mints?  My grammy always had them when I was little--completely nostalgic.)


Later in the day we put together a few gifts for our local fire department and library and dropped those off.  (Real life note: I've always wanted to do those two things, but I've always been too nervous--but I swallowed my nerves and it was really fun and easy and not scary at all. ;)

And then, last night, we surprised the older two with an under-the-tree campout.

I have to say, the floor is as hard as it looks--but we did it! :)

And that was one fun day of celebrating the Season. :)

(*Blog Note:  I LOVE blogging because it has been a great way to keep track of the moments of our life--I seriously can barely remember what I had for lunch today, let alone all the fun and unexpectedly sweet and crazy stuff that happens around here.  I hope that someday when these people aren't so little, they will have this as a record, too, of the pieces that make up their stories.  I also love and am inspired by reading what other moms just like me (or a little further down the road) are doing to embrace this season of life.  So much of what we did yesterday was inspired by those moms. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment