Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Story of Meeting Alle

I met Becca a little over 4 years ago.  And over these past few years she has become one of my closest friends.

When we were just getting to know each other, we had two things in common--we were both in the trying-to-have-a-baby phase and both of our families had the desire to open our hearts to adoption someday.

Today, T and Hannah are 3-year-old best buds.  And on Saturday Becca and Eric brought home their fourth child--little Alle--from Ethiopia. 

It has been beyond my dreams that our family would be able to walk this journey of adoption literally right alongside some of the people who mean so much to us.  And while our stories are each our own, the intersection of our paths could have only been orchestrated by God.

On Monday, I got to see little Alle in the arms of her mommy for the first time.  But I met her in person 4 months ago...

Short Rewind
Becca and I mailed in our dossiers together in the middle of a snow storm.  We were just two numbers apart on the waiting list (When we were Number 1--waiting for the phone to ring with a referral--Becca and Eric were Number 3.).

We saw little Beza's picture for the first time in early December, and when we left for our first trip in February, Becca and Eric were still waiting for the phone to ring.

Meeting Alle
When J and I were at Hannah's Hope in February, we spent most of our time holding and getting to know Beza.  One afternoon, when Beza wasn't with us, one of the special mothers handed me a baby so that she could pick up a crying little one.  Besides Beza, she was the only other baby that I got to hold on that trip. 

She had the biggest, most expressive eyes and a smile that lit up her whole face.  I had no idea who she was or who her family might be.  She was so tiny and I wondered if she was new at Hannah's Hope.

I knew how much it meant to me to have families there send pictures or tell me little bits about Beza when we weren't there.  And I know how much mommies long to have their little ones with them.  I whispered in her ear, "Jesus loves you.  And your Mommy loves you."

We took a few pictures so that we could pass them on to her family--if we could find out who they were.


That night back at the hotel, Becca skyped to say that they had FINALLY gotten their referral!!!  Ahhhh!!!!  Whoo-hoo!!!  We asked her to send pictures and then we had dinner.

After eating, we checked our email for photos...and there was the little girl that I had been holding that afternoon...wearing the same outfit and little black socks...

I am truly humbled by the privilege of that experience.  It is not a story that I could have written or made to be...

Beza and Alle together at Hannah's Hope in March.

Home
A new chapter for both of our families is beginning and what a blessing that two little girls from across the world will get to grow in it together...

Beza and Alle together at our house...
   
Alle, we are so excited and thankful that you are HOME!  We have been praying for you and can not wait to get to know you more and more!  (You can welcome little Alle home by popping over to www.ourjourneyto6.blogspot.com.)

(Off to finish cupcakes for a certain little someone's First Birthday tomorrow!)

6 comments:

  1. Love love love. I get the chills every time I think about this story. Thanks for retelling it in such a great way!
    Looks like you had fun today...
    Can't wait to bring Tage into the mix on Thursday!
    Love and miss you,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this post has me sobbing! God is GREAT!! Thank you for sharing this! LOVE that those two sweet girls will get to grow up together!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing story. I love the way God works! So happy these two precious girls get to grow up together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - how cool! What a terrific story! :-) Love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful! What a gift!! So encouraging to read stories of how God is in the details. Love. Love. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay - do not know how I missed your post:) love it!! thank you so much for loving on our girl when we could not. So blessed to have you in our lives!

    ReplyDelete