Thursday, June 16, 2011

Camp Week

Last week was Camp Week.  Fun times here at Camp Miller!

We set the mood with these lanterns


Decorating with signs and a table "campfire,"
 
Singing along to these tunes (T has been listening to these in his room on repeat all night long for the past week--seriously.)

And making Camp flags.
We used iron-on transfers for white T-shirts and one of J's old work shirts.

Oh, yeah, and I think that it would be good to point out that my own personal camp experience is limited.  Once a year my three younger sisters and I "camped" outside in our backyard with my Dad--those are sweet memories.  And I did work at a residential camp for children with physical disabilities one summer during college (awesome experience)--but I would never call myself a camp expert. :)

 Woah--this one is from the archives.  Yeah, that's me there in the lovely coral shirt.  Simply fetching. :)  Too bad the dark of night is hiding my most lovely poodle-permed coif.

With my lack of major camp experiences, we kind-of just made up our own version of camp.  We actually started a few mornings by waking up to "Colors" and saying the Pledge of Allegiance, a family prayer for a good day, and team cheer ("Go Team Miller!"). ;)   (Oh, man.  Can you picture it?  Pretty funny.)  

The week culminated in a Friday camp-out on the deck.  

There were deconstructed s'mores,
Perfectly paired with the Marshmallow Song.

A movie on the "big screen,"
Veggies Tales: The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything

And some sleeping on the soft, cozy deck.  

J went in after a short while to keep an eye on Beza--the rest of us slept under the bat-filled, bug-infested, slight drizzle off-and-on sky. :)  M and T were sleeping champs--a slightly heavier drizzle woke them up at 7:00a--not too bad!  I should say that we covered ourselves with bugspray.  I even wore a well-sprayed hat.  We also set up a fan--somewhere I read that bugs don't like the wind or something like that. :)  (Doesn't a fan sound so outdoorsy?;) 

And they can't wait to do it again! :)

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I am totally giving you the Most Fun Mom Ever Award!!! Seriously, ya'll are SO FUN!!! When can we come over? My kids would love it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love all your fun ideas! And you are WAY braver than I am to sleep on the deck with the bugs :)

    ReplyDelete